Saturday, September 6, 2008

Super Saturday

I am seriously tired today. These late nights and early mornings are killing me. Of course I don’t really have to go to parties, have drinks with friends, go out to dinner, but hey a girl has to have a little fun right? Plus a lot … too many... of these late nights have been sitting in the photo pit shooting matches at 1AM then taking the bus at 2...Not fun.

Super Saturday. This is a tradition at the US Open, the only slam that plays both the men’s semi-final and the women’s final on Saturday, then the men’s final on the following Sunday. A killer for the guys and everyone else who works here.

The humidity today is unbearable. I’ve resigned myself to having horrible hair all day long. W ish I would have remembered to wear a hat, or a pony tail.

Federer and Djokovic are on Arthur Ashe, Djokovic has won the second set, but there is little doubt in my mind that Federer is going to win the match.

Nadal/Murray has started in Armstrong stadium so I pack up my gear, umbrella and raincoat and make my way to the photo pit. Murray takes the first two sets. Hmm wonder if this is going 5 sets. Murray's play is stunning right now, but you can never count Rafa out, and the crowd love him. He changed his shirt on the changeover, and the girls sitting in the stands behind me were screaming with delight.

They’ve just shown the score from Arthur Ashe. As I expected, Roger won in four. Wonder if Djokovic’s lack of call for the trainer or injury time outs had anything to do with his loss? Maybe he needs a little rest now and then? Well, I’ve got news for you. I need a little rest; maybe I’ll call the trainer.

It is SOOO horrible hot and humid here that my lens keeps fogging up. I’ve used all my lens tissues and am now using my sleeve to try and keep it dry enough to take pix. I’m dying to get out of here, but am praying that the match finishes.

Uh Oh… just felt a drop of rain. Oh no... Another, Rafa has just gone up 3-2 in the third, and the rain is starting. The umpire is out of his chair checking the lines. It’s not raining hard yet, but the painted lines get slippery with just a few drops. Tournament Referee, Brian Earley is out on court talking on his cell phone. I’m sure they are trying to decide if they will stop the match. Now Murray is up checking the lines, and talking to Brian, I get the impression that he wants to continue. He’s up two sets to love and even though he’s down a break, I’m sure he thinks he can win it in three, or at least wants to try. No, it’s not going to happen. It’s starting to rain hard. Umbrellas go up and Rafa and Murray leave the court.

Okay, that’s it. They’ve just announced that play is cancelled. I’m sure this is the earliest (4PM) that play has ever been cancelled at the US Open. Nadal and Murray are now scheduled to finish their match at 4PM tomorrow. The women’s final will be played at 9PM. NINE PM! Are they kidding? Why 9PM? Well at least it’s the girls and Serena will probably be able to finish off Jankovic in two quick sets, so we may be able to get out of there by 12:30.

I'm going to need a few rain photos, so I go to the doorway and do a few without getting wet. It's pouring now and people are getting creative about rainwear. I love this guy wearing a large trash bag!













The men’s final will be 5PM on Monday. Nightmare. It’s going to cost $150.00 to change my flight plus one more night in the hotel. I hope it’s a great final and I sell a lot of pics. Plus, at this point, I’m really ready to go home. Why in the world they didn’t start the Nadal match at 11 AM like Federer/Djokovic I will never know. They have been expecting this storm for a couple of days. If they had started at 11 rather than 12:40 they would have had a chance to finish. Oh well, bitching is not going to change things.

Kiwi Dave has talked me into braving the rain and going out to eat. I agree only on the condition that I can stand under the awning while he gets a cab. We go to a cool Asian noodle place called Republic on Union Square. The décor is contemporary with really nice, huge, B&W photos of people eating noodles on the walls. Love it! I have a wonderful cold noodle salad and a Watermelon Cosmopolitan Martini. Perfect. Life is good.

No comments: